Saturday, September 20, 2008

Rebellion!!!

OK so I get to work tonight. We have what many of us call "rah-rah meeting" before the shift gets going... basically to update us on important unit and/or hospital information, security alerts... you get the picture. Well the topic tonight was a hospital wide policy that the {cough cough} suits are trying to hand down to us worker bees... Here is an excerpt from this nonsense:

"This decision stems from studies that have come to the conclusion that we are more respected and noticed as nurses when we are in a similar color of uniform. This is the new recommendation coming from the DON, and will be going on to the several different departments after us, yes the HCA's and HUC will be following suit with a few changes but similar color schemes for the uniform.
...any style scrub top - unisex, button up, polo, etc is allowed, the color that stands right now is white and may already be set in stone.

You can wear a t-shirt or other shirt within unit standards underneath your scrub top, these may not have to be white in color, and a solid color with no logos, vest similar to ski jackets or the usual jackets, may be part of the uniform

Pants can be any style - flared, tapered, draw-string, elastic waist band, etc, except no low cut pants, we all know why here, I don't want to give TMI.

You may have heard that the shoe color has been suggested to be white or black.

Speaking of cost the hospital is NOT willing to use hospital issue - although L&D, Surgery and Burn Traums are the only exception to this as well as the uniform issue"

So... The last time I attended a State Tax Commission class I was told that if an Employer REQUIRED a specific uniform, they were REQUIRED to either provide said uniform or give an stipend to the employee to purchase said uniform.

Not to mention... the last time I was REQUIRED to wear white to work was freaking 20 years ago in a freaking Nursing Home!!! Let's just turn the clock back 30 years and freaking stick us in skirts and caps... Who the hell's brother-in-law needed a job?

Sorry kids... can you tell that I'm slightly PISSED!!!?!?

So anyways... There's a poll on the right column... please vote. Don't let my rantings sway your opinion. It is annonymous...

So... To be COMPLETELY fair to everyone... I want to know what the "suits" are going to be wearing. Sauce for the gander, no? Maybe I wouldn't be so upset if I hadn't just bought new fall/winter printed tops... I can't return them because they've been washed!

2 comments:

All About M.E.('s) said...

That's ridiculous! Especially in the NICU. When I think of NICU nurses or any nurses that work with babies or children I think 'colorful' and 'fun' scrubs, not white. Nothing says sterile, unfriendly, uncomfortable hospital better than white-and aren't hospitals trying to get away from that stigma? I think it's a bad idea in general, but white especially. They could at least do a bright and cheery color. Red perhaps-it is the U afterall. White on nurses is a little old fashion. Next thing you know, you'll be wearing a nurse cap too. Ha ha.

Jodie said...

I think that is very wrong from a parent standpoint. The NICU is a hard place to be and I can't imagine having to go there only to see every nurse dressed all in white and it looking so much more clincical and scary. I thought the idea was to help put parents at ease if possible, not to scare them even more. Believe me, parents know who the nurses are and they don't need them wearing white to figure it out!

P.S. You are 100% correct that they either buy them of give you a stipend for the scrubs if they require them.